Happy Friday! I’m going to wish you a happy weekend and tie up a lovely week with one last item from our recent surprise birthday party. Could this be something for you this weekend, too? Happy Days!
These surprise filled, buttery short bread cookies, entered our family birthday repertoire the year that I baked only “snowy white” colored baked goods and treats, for a sledding winter birthday party. They immediately became the birthday cookie that stayed. Not only do these put a smile on everyone’s face, they’re yummy, too!
This year, I came up with a confetti inspired twist, filling them with white chocolate and sprinkles for a Surprise Piñata Birthday Party. Continue below for recipe and photos.
SURPRISE COOKIE RECIPE
1 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups flour
8 oz white chocolate, room temperature
1/4 cup sprinkles
Cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add flour. Gather dough into disk shape and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate one hour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In another bowl, grate the white chocolate.
- Pour 3/4th of the sprinkles over the white chocolate and with a spoon, carefully press these two ingredients together with the flat of a spoon. You are forming a sprinkle-white chocolate filling. which will be rolled into small balls and set in the middle of the dough. Don’t over work, breaking sprinkles.
- Place the remaining sprinkles in a bowl and roll the white chocolate/sprinkle filling in this to coat the surface.
- Remove dough and begin taking a teaspoon at a time of the dough. Form a ball with the cookie dough dough and then, press into a flattened disk in the palm of your hand.
- Form a smaller ball of the sprinkles/white chocolate filling. and set in the middle of the cookie dough disk. Carefully wrap the dough up and around the sprinkles/white chocolate to completely cover this filling.
- Place on a baking paper lined cookie sheet and bake 7 minutes. You want this just to the point where they’re crisping and turning golden, but not brown.
7 – 9. Remove from oven, place on drying rack and roll in powdered sugar. You can renew the powdered sugar before serving if so desired. Enjoy!
Tailor-made for the Surprise Piñata Birthday, we just surprised our daughter with; but, honestly, these brighten any afternoon and every face! I hope they will brighten yours, too!
Something you might like: