If you’ve never tried this before, you’ll be surprised what you will be able to do with what you already have at home.
Hold your noses for the time it takes to cook up one head of cabbage to make these because once the scent is gone, the color that’s left is truly wonderous, don’t you agree?
1 T. Vinegar
3 C. Water
- Cover the pot and boil for 45 minutes to one hour.
- Remove pot from the heat and strain the cabbage out of the mixture.
- Add vinegar to this strained dye bath and let cool. Once cool, add eggs. For more intense color, leave in the cooled dye bath longer.
(NOTE: At the end of this post, 1. I’ve added a second, easy, idea that you will probably already have on hand in your pantry; and 2. How to make a toddler-unicorn- experience, using this dye process).
EXTRA : toddler-unicorn- experience,
- Turn these into an amazing science experiment:
- Place cabbage solution without the vinegar in a large mason jar
- Add egg (or fabric) to the solution
- NOW, add vinegar and stir
- Follow this with a sprinkle of baking soda.
The colors change like unicorns, from purples to blues to greens.