With summer vacation here, I’ve received a lot of mails from people requesting my favorite things to do with kids in Stockholm. I wanted to take a little extra time to put together an updated list with things we do and places I return to time and time again with visitors. Stockholm is a very easy city to visit with kids. A kids life, in Sweden, is a good life. Water and green meet the pavement here and although, Stockholm is a capital city, I often feel like it’s a big town because it’s safe, easy to get around; plus one day can easily include time in a museum or theatre, followed by a picnic at the beach.
These are some of our favorites and places Stockholm with kids.
Stockholm with kids: short-list.
The whistle-stop tour for those short on time:
RAINY DAY ACTIVITIES | Stockholm with kids
- Wasa Museum: (Vasamuseet) The Wasa sank on her maiden voyage in Stockholm 1628 and was salvaged 1961. This museum encases the full ship and is a must see. (Note: closed March 18 – April 30 for reconstruction). This is on the island of Djurgården with offers endless strolling (see more below under parks.)
- Modern Museum and Architecture Museum These are housed in the same building. Visit both kids art rooms and and a break at the cafe with a beautiful view.
- Naturhistoriska Museet A diorama-filled museum with movies in the round.
- Tekniska Museet Thrill your tiny ones with with science and gadgetry
- Medeltidsmuseet: a trip in time through the city’s history.
- Kulturhuset: Crafts and books in Stockholm’s center.
- Junibacken: Aka: Pipp’s house. Pipplångstocking Museum. It’s primarily for age 6 and under; but a delight.
- Tom Titts Experiment This is a fun science museum 30 minutes south of Stockholm and a great place to go with big kids.
OPEN-AIR MUSEUMS and DESTINATIONS | Stockholm with kids
- Skansen: This is the world’s oldest open air museum with the Stockholm zoo with Nordic animals and replicas of Swedish houses through the country and through out the ages. National Holidays are celebrated here; handicrafts such as glass blowing are made on site; and there are many restaurant, cafe and picnic choices here, too.
- Birka (The Viking Capital): Take a ferry to visit to the Viking Capital and a journey back in time. This is a day excursion but, if you have bigger kids this is wonderful.
- Old Town (Gamla Stan). I’m including the city’s well preserved old town in this section, since it’s an area of town where you could stroll the day away. Plan your visit to Old town to see the changing of the guards at the Royal Palace (click here) This part of the city dates back to the 13th Century and is a great for strolling with both very tourists and also artisan shopping; with plenty a restaurant and cafes. See if you can find “Mårten Trotzigs Gränd.” This little street is less than a metre wide, the narrowest alley in the city.
- Drottningholm : Just outside of town, you can take a boat, car or bus to the residence of the Royal Family with beautiful grounds to roam. Take a tour, a picnic, book a seat in the theatre, see the Copper Tent and don’t miss a trip to the Kina Slött complete with treasure hunt for kids. After walking the grounds, we often make a waffle or ice cream stop near the Kina Slött as our farewell.
STOCKHOLM WITH KIDS: THEME PARK
- Gröna Lund Stockholm’s Amusement Park. Areas for all ages. Kid approved!
- Special note: If you are traveling to Gothenburg, Liseberg is Sweden’s most popular tourist attraction
SOMETHING DIFFERENT | Stockholm with kids
- Globen Skyview Elevator. Book tickets ahead of time and take this sky view elevator to the top of this area for a spectacular view of the city.
- Stadshuset Tour: Climb the tower on a visit to the beautiful City Hall for a memorable view. Do you kids know about the Nobel? Here is where the Nobel Banquet(click here)is served. Kid tours are given and recommended for children between 5-12. The tour is only 50 minutes with lots of fun facts/trivia about Stockholm. The view from the top of the tower is fantastic.
- Visit one of Stockholm’s many beaches
- See Stockholm on bike.
- Take an hour or two boat tour of Stockholm . Since Stockholm sits in an archipelago, it’s a very a great way to get to know Stockholm.
- Go on an adventure: Take a high speed RIB boat out into the Archipelago.
MUSIC and BALLET | Stockholm with kids
- Konserthuset: Music series for kids, Musical Treasure hunts and regular concerts.
- The Royal Ballet/Opera. It’s more than the show, it’s the costumes, the atmosphere, the orchestra, the stage… (See the Nutcracker, if visiting over Christmas and New Years Holidays)Check out Kungsträgården and various parks in the summer for outdoor events and entertainment| HERE
I hope that this will provide you a small road map to planning your visit to Stockholm with kids. If there’s something else you’re looking for, I’d love to hear from you.
- Kid Creativity: With Swedish travel in mind, I’ve pulled together 3 super, simple Swedish inspired projects for you to make with your kids as you prepare for your travels, return or just visit in your imagination. HERE
- Eating with kids in Sweden| CLICK HERE for a list of tried and true kid-tested tips.
- Willowday Wishes
- CLICK HERE OR ON ABOVE PICTURE TO GET WILLOWDAY STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX AND TO RECEIVE A FREE FUN FOODS EBOOK, EXCLUSIVELY FOR SUBSCRIBERS.
- Willowday Wishes Instagram – Facebook – Pinterest